New sides promoted include Muhoroni Youth who make a debut while Oserian (Fastac) make a comeback after being on the lower rungs for a few years. Dropping off were the 2 Coastal teams, Bandari and Congo United, which prompted a call by business leaders in Mombasa & Coastal region to rally around bringing back glory to the region's teams.
Also one club City Stars changed names to Daima Stars after securing sponsorship from Daima Milk. From the transfer market, the following's the top spendings Clubs & players;
- AFC Leopards - KSh. 835,000
- Gor Mahia - KSh. 670,000
- Ulinzi Stars - KSh. 420,000
- Tusker FC - KSh. 260,000
- Oserian - KSh.100,000
Most Expensive Players;
- Eric Masika - KSh. 450,000 ( from Gor Mahia to AFC Leopards)
- Ivo Mapunda - KSh. 200,000 ( from Bandari to Gor Mahia)
- Kevin Amwayi - KSh. 200,000( from Western Stima to Ulinzi Stars)
- Wycliffe Ochono - KSh. 200,000 (from Gor Mahia to Ulinzi Stars)
- Abbasi Kiwalabye -KSh. 190,000 ( from Chemelil Sugar to AFC Leopards)
- Victor Ochieng - KSh. 190,000 ( from Chemelil Sugar to AFC Leopards)
- Hugo Nzangu - KSh. 150,000 ( from Sony Sugar to Gor Mahia)
- Patrick Kagogo - KSh.100,000 (from Sofapaka to Tusker)
- Peter Juma - KSh. 80,000 (from Karuturi Sports to Gor Mahia)
- Luke Ochieng - KSh. 75,000 ( from KCB to Tusker)
It shall be interesting to see which club's spending has been justified and which one was a waste of the monies. Also there has been less buzz around corporate sponsors coming on board as most of those who had penned contracts had done 2-3 years/seasons.
Make a date with your favourite club and for more info check www.kpl.co.ke for more updates.