|Harambee Stars new kit - Image courtesy of www.capitalfm.co.ke|
Asking FKF officials,
- What are the procedures of securing the team jerseys?
- Does it attract competitive tendering or is it a private arrangement of the Federation?
- How do you qualify whether to give it to one brand and not the other? Adidas, Nike or the other?
- How much does the Federation get for donning on that particular brand?
- How come we have not had any official shirt sponsor for the last couple of years?
These questions come in the bane that shirt sponsorships across the world are some of the main revenue drivers for major teams both clubs and national teams. Some have used it to leverage on their brand and won handsomely ( like the recently signed deal of Barcelona first-ever commercial shirt sponsorship deal). It also helps a country's citizenry identify with the team.
We have CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup and now we have to buy some new shirts again ...pray it doesn't change once the World Cup 2014 qualifiers start...