Friday, 30 May 2008
$$$ & you can take that to the bank ! This is what sports business has become. Where else does a lad come through only in his second season and signs an endorsement deal worth $20 million with the a shoe company? Adding to that shoe business where else does one retire not once but thrice from the same sport & still earns in excess of $31 million ?
Yeah had to be Sports ! True most of the money is well-deserved but some of it just sounds outrageous. Now check the list below of top 10 earners for the year 2007 and see whose signature we can be after for those fat cheques !
1. Tiger Woods ($100 million-Golf)- thanks in part to a well-dominated sport by Tiger together with endorsements left,right and centre. He has also been on top of his game even with the dip in form after the death of his dad.
2. Oscar De La Hoya ($43 million-Boxing)- this shrewd boxer has outboxed Don Kings to become one of the most sort after boxing promoters. What helps too is his charisma and showmanship during his boxing years. Last year he organised the biggest fights so far between one of his former opponents now stable boy, Floyd Mayweather & Ricky Hatton.
3. Phil Mickelson ($42 million-Golf)- his is a consistent chase for Tiger's position as well as worthy endorsements with Ford and Exxon.
4. Kimi Raikkonen ($40 million-Motorsport)- Thanks to the retirement of Schumacher and also the belief in his abilities by the Ferrari team making him the current highest paid Formula One driver.
5. Michael Schumacher ($36 million-Motorsport)- Had I said he retired ? Well, it was sort of leaving the field not wishing to ruin the shine off his sterling career. He's the most successful Formula One driver of our time and so too are his earnings.
6. David Beckham ($33 million-Football)- After helping Real to title last year's 2006-7 season, he quickly flew to the US thanks to some sports marketers who think the most photogenic footballer (Americans say soccer player) can lure fans to watch the game there. He also has serious endorsements with Adidas, Gillette to name but a few.
7. Kobe Bryant ($33 million-Basketball)- He is currently one of the best players gracing the game. Thanks also to endorsements made to Nike (after initially having done Adidas sneakers). Have you checked out his 'Jump over Aston Martin advert' or even the one he jumps over a pool of snakes ?
8. Shaquille O'Neal ($32 million-Basketball)- Another basketballer who's seemingly in the sunset of his career. He was traded in the last regular season to the Phoenix Suns but remains a formidable force in any team. He's also set up a company to look into property development which will look out for his interests once he retires.
9. Ronaldinho ($31 million-Football- His skills on the football pitch will attest to his reputation as one of the biggest players gracing the sport. Thanks too to endorsements from Nike,Lenovo and Pepsi which have seen him earn his way on the list.
10. Michael Jordan ($31 million-Basketball)- one of sports biggest icons is still counting his money to the bank. Even after retiring from active play 4 years ago as well as a messy divorce he can still endorse and assure you of a good sale of your product. He was and still remains one of Nike's biggest sports personalities.
Kenyan sportmen better be reading this. Next time I'll need to see one of you there. Yeah it's a thought !